Sunday, January 9, 2011

Fly Profiles, Floating Flies (Part 2)

{In this pool , in one morning , I landed 3 brown Trout  from 4-7lbs on the PP mouse}
The very first Perfect Profile mouse I tied, I walked the half mile or so to the river ( Rio Traful ) to try out the new invention. I remember being excited, but wary about weather the new fly would produce as I'd imagined. It was mid-day, sunny, and warm,  the water level was near perfect to try out the new mouse. I was very familiar with this section of the river, and knew that there were land locked salmon , and good sized brown trout holding in this upper part of the river. The first cast , I threw the fly into "heavy water " in a run that generally holds good sized trout. To my amazement , I could see from the depths , a silver missile heading straight towards the impostor as it floated back toward me. The trout hit the fly on the rise, and continued skyward all in one motion, reaching a height well over my head, since I was wading about knee deep. I was numb, it was just a reaction to strip the fly line and keep it taunt. After a good fight, and being alone, I brought the brown trout onto some wet rock to record the event, with the PP mouse, hanging  from the mouth of the 27 inch brownie.
That was quite a start for this fly , I quit fishing for the day ,right then and there,and walked back to the house to return to the tying vise to tie more of the mammal imitation. Pryor to using the PP mouse I was fishing with a fly I called a 'Wildthing", a hopper/stone fly imitation that had many reddish / orange colored leg's , protruding outward from it's foam and elk hair body. It was tied on an extra long dry fly hook, size #4. It looked just as it was named, a wild thing, not the most delicate of flies , but , it would bring huge fish off the bottom of the river  to have a look. That was in 1995, it was the start of what we see today of very common use of  foam-rubber legged flies, used for hoppers and stone flies.
This past season, we had a good hopper season (late) on the Missouri River. I was very impressed with one fly in particular that has a very realistic "profile", it seemed to out fish all the other hopper patterns. That was the Rainey's foam hopper, the only controversy was color selection. I started using the fly later in the season, with  steady success, much more than any other hopper pattern. I used the tan and the pink , both worked. I did not try the yellow, but, I'm sure it would be good as well. To me it had to do with the profile of the fly , rather than the color selection. But , there were plenty of guides who swore that the pink worked best, and when something works, it works, no need to over think something that brings success.
As fishermen, we try to think how a trout might see our inventions, we try to see through a trout eye. Not an easy task, many flies that look good in our hand, just plain do not work as well as we think they might. And , many other flies that look like a "small mess ", sometimes are just what the trout are feeding on that particular day. For even those flys that look like a mess, they are projecting a certain profile that the trout accepts as food. The profile of the fly is what triggers the trout to move on an artificial, and, eat something man made, even with a hook protruding from our creations we call Flys.
Follow along @ http://www.aguasdelmundo.net/ ( DALY BLOG )

No comments:

Post a Comment